Monday, January 24, 2011

Resting, Rantings, Races and Ryan-isms

This...
...usually doesn't happen because Evan is such a terrific eater. He's not about to let food go untouched. HOWEVER...when this sweet little, 2 footer, almost 7-month-old cutie decides not to take a nap this...
...might possibly happen thus leaving some leftovers for tomorrow.

Both of the boys decided a nap (aka a rest) was not part of the game plan for today. They both fell asleep at inopportune times too.

Did you know that when your house is full of furry little friends lots of racing takes place? Especially when food is around. What's even more amazing is when these cute furry friends...
...win the race and keep the dogs away from the food.

Speaking of furry little friends...we have some disappointing and discouraging (maybe even sad) news. Mollie will be leaving us. Mollie has been showing some concerning signs of aggression. Especially with food. She even growled and snapped at me the other day. Due to her ever increasing size with the final outcome most likely very large we decided that we just can't take any chances at all with any signs of aggression. This has been a very sad decision for us but not necessarily a difficult one. When considering a dog that might weigh well over 100 pounds you just can't take any risks. It has been a discouraging decision though. Newfoundlands are notoriously one of the most gentle and loving dogs and Mollie is such a beautiful and sweet girl. The only thing we can figure is that her beginnings were so rough (probably born in someone's barn and had to fight and scrounge for everything for those first few months) that her natural instinct is to fight for her food. We have no doubt that she will be an awesome dog someday and with the right person and training she will make a wonderful companion and friend for a very special family. For now she needs a lot of extra love and the absence of stress that comes with small kids. We're hoping to hear from the Pets and People facility soon with word of a new forever home for our sweet Mollie...hopefully a single individual or a couple with plenty of time and no other distractions and responsibilities so they can lavish her with the love and attention she needs. We're hoping to hear soon because with each passing day we are growing more and more attached to her. It's already going to be hard to say good-bye but we all know it's for the best. :( Tears...

Okay...so on to better things...

This boy...
...is MY good boy! He says the darndest things sometimes, so I've started writing the best down on a white board and when it gets full I'll try to share them on here. Maybe someday I'll turn his words into books. For now let's just call them "Ryan-isms"...

  • I think the sun just wakes up. Silly sun. (This was after waking up one morning. For some reason he thought the sun waking up was a silly thing for it to do!)
  • My sleeps went away. (This is a good excuse for NOT taking a nap. Why should I take a nap mom? My sleeps went away.)
  • Momma you're not a bad friend, you're still a good friend. (This one is good. Being a new year and all with all those resolutions and things I've taken a look at some of my parenting ways and found some to be...well...maybe not the best for my kids. So...I'm trying to change a few things. Stricter in some areas. More lenient in others. More structured in some areas. More lax in others. So one of the areas that has been a little too inconsistent is when "Mom says..." "Mom means...". Anyway...on this particular day Ryan got in trouble for something (that something evades me right now) and was disciplined accordingly. After things settled down this "Ryan-ism" is what I heard.)
  • I don't want you to remove the temptation. (After excessively salting his food, the table, his plate and everything in between I told Ryan he had more than enough salt. He just couldn't leave the salt shaker alone so I asked him if he wanted me to remove the temptation. Not having a clue what I was talking about he said, "yes." Well...he didn't really mean it!)
  • Will you help me warm up my cars? (It's winter and we've had some cold days. One cold day--that was supposed to be warmer but the weathermen can't get it right--Ryan and I went outside and I rebuilt the swingset. He got pretty cold despite wearing a heavy coat and hat so we came inside. Soon he discovered his cars were left outside in the cold thus the need for their retrieval and a warm blanket.)
  • I don't know how to find my mommy. (I spent the day away from home a couple Saturdays ago leaving Ryan with his dad. On more than one occasion he wandered around the house perplexed because "he didn't know how to find his mommy.")
  • My mouth ran out of energy gas. (You can just fill in the blank with this one because how ever you think this one applies...it's funny.)

No comments: