Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tornadoes, Deals and Decorations

This blog post doesn't really all go together but that's just going to have to be okay.

If you've watched any news at all lately tornadoes have been the topic of conversation. Missouri was devastated by a major one and most recently Oklahoma has been too. For those in other states that may have been hit by tornadoes today...my apologies...I have no power. Yep...no power. The tornadoes came uncomfortably close to our area (within 4 miles) and as a consequence we will be without power until the weekend. Thankfully power is the only thing we are without tonight. Our perishables will be gone in a day, our comfort may be redefined, our kids are going crazy, and I feel pretty disconnected but...WE HAVE SO MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR! Many homes were destroyed...

This was just four miles from our home.

At least 9 lives were lost and many more were injured. One family...the Hamil family...lost a 16-month-old little boy and their 3-year-old son is still missing. Please pray for them. Please pray for all of the people affected by these storms.

------------------------------------------------------------------
It almost seems inappropriate to blog about anything else tonight, so forgive me if the following is...indeed...inappropriately timed.

Today...as a way of escaping from the lack of electricity...we went out and about. Annie has outgrown her crate (bought originally for a mini-aussie), so I've been searching for one. Boy did I get a blessing of a deal!!! We stumbled into Petsmart today to *browse* the dog crates. This one...
...was on their clearance rack. Originally $129...it was marked down to $77. They gave it to me for $32!!! It has a crack in it and some marks and scuffs, but I don't care! It's big enough and basically new. Woohoo!

As a side note...the clerk asked me if it was for my dog or my kids...Hehehe. Little does she know!

And...moving on to another thought...

Decorating. Man do I have the bug! I've been wanting for quite some time to work on decorating our home...getting rid of some of the coldness of bare walls and rooms and bringing in some warmth and comfort. I want my home to feel like a place of refuge...warm and cozy! In Evan's room we recently moved in a twin-sized captains (I think that's what it's called) bed. The bed was built by my late great-uncle Rusty. It fits perfect and my intention is to turn it into a daybed of sorts. Here's the start...
I'm loving the orange! Need more pillows and I have a few ideas for the walls. When we move the boys together into the big room (since Evan's room is actually the laundry room) I'm wanting the extra space in the laundry room to be a guest/quiet-time/reading/project/relaxing room.
Or it may end up being a play room. Who knows!

I found some great garage-sale deals last weekend. Sprucing up and warming up the dining room a little...
$15 for the big mirror and $10 for the other grouping. I was pleased.

Now if I can just convince the hubby that painting and distressing furniture is not a bad thing I have a few pieces that I'd like to re-do. (Not the table). Oooo...and if I can find a really good deal on some new-to-me living room furniture that would be pretty awesome too.

No comments: