Thursday, January 5, 2012

Growing Up

Sometimes this little guy amazes me.  Too often I look at him and see a "big boy".  I probably expect too much at times.  I sometimes expect him to act like an "all-grown-up-big-kid".  I love and play with him but I don't caudle him much.  I comfort him when he needs it but I sometimes forget that he still needs to just snuggle and be picked up and held from time to time.  He's not my baby anymore. He's my big boy.. But then I take a step back and remember that he is only 4!  Four is still pre-school...a very young child...not much older than a toddler.  4!  He's 4...going on 5. 

Today, however, I saw in my little boy a much bigger, older child.  And it wasn't my expectations of him.  It was slowing down to watch and listen and realizing the reality that he's growing up.  Today I took the kids to the school where I will soon be attending.  Ryan has expressed great concern about me going to school. 

Just the other day:
Ryan:  "Mom I don't want you to go to school."
Me:  "But Ryan it's so I can become a nurse and take care other sick people.  It will be hard for a while but it will be better for our family when I'm finished."
Ryan:  "But I don't want anything to happen to you..."

So I took the kids to the school for them to look around and explore a little.  I was hoping Ryan would feel more comfortable about me being away at school if he could explore where I will be going.  We enjoyed our time there but towards the end the kids were getting tired and losing interest.  I bought them a little bag of candy to share and when the last piece was gone Ryan was mad.  Very mad.  And hateful.  When we got to the car I pulled him aside and told him that if he couldn't straighten his attitude and find some happies that I would help him do so with a spanking.  Irritated, he plopped himself down in his seat. 

A couple miles down the road and out of his fit, a big kid emerged:
Ryan:  "Mom I'm really really sorry."
Me:  "What are you sorry for?"
Ryan:  "I'm really sorry for getting mad and for not trusting you that everything is going to be okay."

I was speechless.  Teary.  All kinds of emotions. 

After visiting the Sunflower Market and picking up a few things we then went to the park.  And once again my 4-year-old was all but grown up.  The park was packed on such a gorgeous day.  He didn't gravitate to the preschool aged kids.  He wasn't interested in the other 3 and 4 year olds running around.  He ended up playing with a couple of boys (probably 7 and 10) as they played dodge ball with their dad.  He didn't understand the game but he added a keep-away twist to their already exciting game and they all enjoyed it.  Ryan really enjoyed playing with those boys and their dad.  A bunch of guys doing what guys do.  Playing.  Running.  Conquering.  Throwing balls.  A dad and his two sons...and they were gracious enough to adopt my little boy who's growing up fast into their clan.  Wow! 

No comments: