Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Growing Up!


My boy is growing up. Too fast I might add. A little over a week ago Ryan climbed out of his crib...for the first time ever. Crazy I know. He climbs on the stove and jumps off of his dresser but in 3 1/2 years had never climbed out of the crib. Well the night he came trotting back into the living room after going to bed in the crib was the night I finally decided he should probably move up and out of the crib on a more permanent basis. I admit, though, I really wasn't ready. I really kind of liked the confinement of the crib. Once he was in...he was in...until he was helped out. I began stressing. How in the world was I going to keep the boy in bed?

Last Friday we worked together in his room. We completely dismantled the crib and moved it, piece by piece, out of "Good Boy's" room. (He's taken to calling himself "Good Boy" all the time now but that's another story). He chose a new place for the "Cars Bed" (twin bed with CARS bedding). He wanted it in the same place as the crib. We rearranged. We straightened. We cleaned. Until "Good Boy's" room was also a "Big Boy's" room. Friday night we had a big party with dinner and cupcakes. Nana and Papa came. We made it a BIG deal!

Friday night we tucked Ryan in bed...and...oh my goodness...he...he...he stayed! He went to bed like a champ and stayed in bed all night long! No crying, no whining, no problems. So far this part of growing up had been a wonderful experience for all of us. He's such a good boy!

Of course if I said we had perfection around here everyone would probably give me a tongue-lashing. He has asked at least once to move the crib back into his room and move his new bed back. He still asks me to sleep on the "Cars Bed". He now expects at least 2 or 3 stories before bedtime and needs the closet light on. He still fusses if he doesn't have just the right collection of cars. Last night he fought going to bed and needed several reminders where he was supposed to be. He came out of that room with every excuse possible. "I need to hug Momma." "I need to hug baby brother." "I need to take this ball away." The best excuse we heard was, "I have a big problem! I have crumbs in my bed." He handed me ONE crumb.

He sure makes me smile!

No comments: