Thursday, August 5, 2010

Evan Update

Wow I can't believe my little guy is almost 6 weeks old. I got a new (to me) Acer so now I can sit comfortably while rocking...or burping...my little one and type away on this crazy blog that has been somewhat neglected for the last 5+ weeks.

A lot has been going on and I'd like to try to capture our life over the last 5 weeks on this blog, but I know my memory well enough to give warning that the next few posts may be a haphazard compilation of thoughts.

.......................................

Evan is doing great! He is healthy and strong and an absolute joy. He is eating very well and I seem to be producing plenty. He's a gassy little baby. Poor little guy he just grunts all the time. I started giving him gripe water recently to help with some of his discomfort. I'm also trying to watch what I eat. If I could find a food(s) that caused him more gas I'd eliminate those from my diet. Likewise if I could find the foods that kept him the most "regular" I'd eat those every day.

Surprisingly we haven't had a doctor's appointment since he last saw the dr. the week after his birth. Surprising I guess because I'm so used to life with a preemie which equals at least 1 or 2...maybe 3...appointments each week for months on end. It's different. Our last appointment was to check out a rash that Evan had developed but was determined to be a sensitivity coupled with baby acne. I guess he might be my sensitive kid. I've changed laundry soap to a perfume-free/dye-free ALL. I've been using a mild soap and lotion for Evan's bath and because his small little bottom gets irritated easily I'm sticking to name brand diapers like Pampers or Huggies. Crazy...I know. I'm such a store brand person. We haven't seen the doctor since then and his weight at the time was 6 pounds 5 ounces. I'm anxious to see how much he's grown.

Just this week Evan has started noticing the toys dangling above his head while he lays on a play mat. (Fully supervised I might add. I learned very quickly that an unsupervised baby around a hyper-active toddler is not a good idea.) He has also started making other sounds, almost like cooing but not exactly. When he's not grunting, that is. It's so sweet and so exciting to see him developing.

He knows his Momma and responds to my voice immediately. We spend a lot of time together. He relaxes when he's laying on my chest and seems to find comfort with my touch. Most of our nights end (at 3 or 4 a.m.) with him laying on my chest while I recline in a chair because he can finally find comfort and I can finally get some sleep. Usually after his 3 or 4 a.m. feeding he grunts and groans so much that everyone gets more sleep if he and I snuggle in the chair together instead of him grunting and crying and I reaching into his cradle to give him the pacifier every 2 or 3 minutes. Do what works...right?!

Speaking of sleep. He's doing pretty well. We've had a handful of really good nights and a handful of really bad nights. The really good nights are when he sleeps 5 hours between feedings. The really bad nights are when he wakes up every hour or 2 because he's gassy and uncomfortable or because he wants to eat. Most of our nights he sleeps 3 hours between feedings. Those nights are doable. I'm usually very sleepy come early morning but once I'm up and have had a cup of coffee all is well. Naps are pretty good too!

And there you have it! An Evan update! I'll update more later...when I'm not so tired and I can actually think straight. :)

No comments: