Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ryan


Oh my Ryan. Ryan...Ryan...Ryan.

At this moment I'm just glad he quit crying because I was about 2 seconds away from, as my mom always said "giving him something to cry about!" Okay...not really...I was starting to get a little frustrated though.

Ryan has started to assert his independence in many ways. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's just plain challenging. Tonight was the first time in 3 1/2 years that he climbed out of his bed. He's still in a crib...only because he's never tried to climb out and why mess with a good thing. Also because of all of our life circumstances over the last year. Well tonight was the night. Now it's time to move the crib out and for him to graduate to his big-boy bed! This leaves me with a new challenge and quite frankly one that I wasn't wanting to fight until later...how in the world do I keep him in bed!!!!!???? He goes to bed just fine when he is confined. He fights it like crazy when he isn't.

My little independent kid has brought on more challenges. Most of them are just that...challenges. Nothing big. One of our challenges is running. He loves to run. Unfortunately he doesn't pay close enough attention to his surroundings. He so badly wants to have freedom but until he learns to walk safely beside his family instead of running off and darting away he is stuck with physical boundaries. I soooo wish he would learn this. It would be so much easier (and more fun) to just let him walk beside me in the store and other places.

Ryan's independence-loving has been good too. He is growing up to be a big boy and he now takes pride in being "the big boy". He helps me get things. He helps me cook. He can get his own snacks most of the time and he usually asks before he gets them (or at least he talks about it while he's getting something so I know what he's doing). He can play outside by himself although he loves for me to come outside too. I love being outside and playing with him, but it's nice that he can play independently since sometimes I just can't go outside and play. He has started picking out his own clothes although he really just doesn't care. No clothes are his first choice. He walks safely to the car from the house by himself and waits by the door (most of the time) which is contradictory to what I just talked about. It's the walking safely anywhere else that we have trouble with. He can be told to stay in the yard and with a few gentle reminders will do so. He pushes it all the way to the edge though, but he thoroughly enjoys that freedom. He is learning to make decisions for himself.

I try to encourage his independence as much as possible. I try to give him as many choices as possible. What to wear? What time to go to bed (8:20 0r 8:30)? What color of cool-aid to make? Nap time in 5 minutes or 10? Peanut butter/jelly sandwich or turkey and cheese? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ryan loves his baby brother. Most of the time. He caresses his head gently. He gives hugs. He gives kisses. He tickles his belly. He is gentle. Most of the time. Occasionally he expresses his dislike. "Mom put baby brother on the bed" or a not-so-gentle bonk on the head. One of the cutest things is when Evan is crying and Ryan calls out "Hang on baby brother. Hang on baby brother."

Another cute thing Ryan says these days is "I'm a good boy." He reminds me several times a day. "Good boys get toys. I'm a good boy." "Good boys can..." I remind him often that he's a good boy and a big boy. I'm hoping that the reminders help him feel a little extra special from time to time since Evan gets a lot of attention. "Good boys get to go to the playground. Only big boys can play on the playground."

Another cute one..."I want to lub (love) on Momma." Can you guess that I absolutely LOVE when I here him say "I want to lub on Momma" ?

There's a lot of things he's started doing or saying that I'll share as I recall them. Sometime I'll tell you about "washing feet".

No comments: