Wednesday, March 9, 2011

4-Year-Old Check-Up

Today I took this amazing kid to the doctor for his 4-YEAR-OLD check up. Wow it still doesn't seem right that he's already 4. In some ways it seems like just yesterday we were standing by his incubator bed hoping and praying he would survive. Now look at this kid!
Weight: 32 pounds 10%
Height: 3 ft 4 in 50%
BP: 86/52
O2: 100%
Pulse: 106

Yeah, yeah...I know I don't usually give such precise details but it's been a long time since I've had such precise details. They really don't matter that much. He's healthy, strong, and everything checked out just fine. The doctor was pleased with everything about our little man.

The biggest concern I discussed with the doctor was the potty training issue. She has recommended we see a urologist. Why? Well after I discussed all the "methods" we've tried for potty training (star chart, goody box, cheerios, wearing big-boy pants all day, etc., etc.), the fact he's never yet had a "dry" night, his poop is still greasy (like an infant) she was a wee bit concerned. She said that *something* out of that mix *should* have made an impression on him. We also discussed him being strong willed and she agrees but she also feels that this "strong-willedness" ought not be so strong that he would wear the same underwear all day and long and never use the toilet...for 3 days in a row. These issues being discussed we (the doctor and I) decided checking in with a urologist might be the next best step...just to be certain all the plumbing is as it should be. In the mean time we will be continuing our "plans". We are introducing Evan to the toilet several times a day in hopes that a little sibling competition might ensue. Ryan picked a "grow-up-day" for next Wednesday. We will continue with that. We're hoping that continuing our original plans (especially the grow-up day since Ryan picked the day) will overcome the strong-will thing if that is the problem. So that's where we are with this topic.

Now as for my wonderful, amazing 4-year-0ld little man:

  • He's smart
  • He knows all his colors
  • He knows most of the letters
  • He recognizes what words start with what letters for the letters "a" and "b" and probably a few others.
  • He loves his family...even his little brother.
  • He is so incredibly sweet
  • He loves being outside
  • He loves taking a bath and thanks to him my bathroom floor gets a nightly shower
  • He's cautious although he's starting to take more risks
  • He is an incredibly picky eater but I've been surprised at some of the new things he's tried
  • He still loves cars but he isn't as consumed with them
  • He still takes a nap daily but the naps are getting shorter and shorter
  • His bedtime is 8 o'clock but sometimes it gets moved back to 7:30 and sometimes he gets to stay up until 9
  • He loves dirt and I'm super excited about gardening with my boy this summer
  • He knows one speed...fast
  • He tells me he loves me
  • He is a good helper
  • He's wild
  • He's crazy
  • He makes me laugh
  • He loves to make people laugh
  • He is so much and so special that I can't even begin to describe him here...you just have to know him!
  • ...
  • ...
  • ...
I LOVE THIS BOY!
TO PIECES I LOVE THIS BOY!

Ryan, my wonderful 4-year-old little boy you delight my heart and just knowing you is one of the greatest blessings in my life. I'm so blessed by you...your sweet smile...your contagious laugh...your tender hugs...your gentle kisses...your stories...your everything. I love little buddy!

1 comment:

mimi and Grampy said...

As long as your Child is healthy, you can over come any problem in raising them.