Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Hot...I Tell 'Ya!!

Ryan is 20 months old today. Wow! It seems crazy to think about him turning 2 in just 4 short months.

  • His last height, which was taken at 18-months was 30 inches. He's not a two-footer anymore.
  • His weight on our digital scale here at the house was 21.2 pounds today. Size comparison: Our new puppy, Eddy, weighed 1 1/2 pounds at his 8 weeks vet visit. That's how much Ryan weighed at birth.
  • He can say 3 words: Bye-Bye, Dada, and Hot. Language continues to be his biggest delay, but still one of which no one seems too worried about. I don't let it concern me most of the time. I sure would love for him to say, "mama". :)
  • He runs, walks, climbs, crawls. As long as he's moving, he's happy.
  • He still loves his dogs. He's learning how to play with them, yet we still have a daily battle teaching him that you have to "be easy" with the dogs. He thinks it's great to hear them yelp. Poor puppies.
  • He's not really attached to anything in the way of a "Lovey" although he has a blankie that he loves to cuddle in. We never put him to bed without it. If he's tired during the day he will find his blankie and snuggle up in it until he is asleep.
  • He has 10 teeth! Two of his top molars poked through within the last month or so. He loves to brush his teeth. He doesn't like his teeth brushed but he will tolerate it long enough to be allowed to brush his own teeth.
  • I can ask him for a kiss and he will put his forehead down for me to kiss.
  • Hugs and Loves. I can ask him to give "whoever" some hugs and loves and he complies with a big smile, especially if it's his daddy. Our nightly routine involves him telling his daddy goodnight and giving "hugs and loves".
  • I sure would love for him to say, "mama". :)
  • Ryan usually takes a morning nap around 10 in the morning for about an hour or a little longer. We (he and I) usually have a time of rest in the mid-afternoon. One of us usually gets a little bit of sleep although if I doze off it's only light since I am also on the job and must be ready for a phone call at any time.

Ryan's favorite word is "hot". We started telling him the oven was hot when I cook. He used to go up to the glass and lick it. I'm guessing the temperature change was unique enough to taste. :) Now he taps the oven and says "hot"...even when it's off. I guess that's good because when the oven is actually on and it's time for the food to come out I can tell him to stand "over there" and the oven is "hot". He can watch without getting burned. Yay! I can also cook in one skillet and let him play in another while he stands in a chair at the stove watching as long as I tell him that my skillet is hot.

Of course his lesson on hot didn't come from our overly convincing emphatic explanation of the meaning of hot. His lesson was much more painful I hate to admit. He has touched a hot skillet (albeit his jerk reflexes kicked in very quickly) and he has grabbed my straightening iron. Thankfully neither incident resulted in severe burns just tears and a hard lesson learned. Ryan now KNOWS what "hot" is. He can tell me if his bath water is too hot (for his taste) when his first toe enters the water. When I cook he tells me that everything is hot. When the sun is beating down on the cars he will touch the cars and tell me they are hot. He respects hot, but it's also his favorite word so he often goes around tapping everything and telling us it's hot...the chair, the dog, the window, the toys.....

1 comment:

twin power mommy ♥ said...

That's cute. Eli knows "hot", too.
I like to show him the oven, stove, etc...is hot. I gently and closely put his hand so he can feel the heat.

He has learned that the oven is hot and won't usually touch it.

Ryan's growing and learning. Don't worry about the language thing. Boys are slower to learn anyway, and he was preemie. It takes a bit longer for their little bodies and minds to catch up.
Eli's 2 1/2 and he just recently started to build his vocabulary. Give Ryan some time. It'll come!