Sunday, May 31, 2009

That's Poop

new sink (aka a new boat)...a garage sale steal $10

Okay...I need some advice.

We have not started potty training yet, so we've not really ever discussed potty issues. He has a little potty that he will sit on (usually fully clothed) while I'm sitting on the potty, and we discuss "pottying". That's as far we we've gone with that.

For some reason he has started pooping in the bathtub! He gives no warning...no visible signs. It's just all of a sudden some nasty brown things invade the tub water. I have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO with this. Of course I immediately yank his wet behind out of the water and show him that what is in the tub is "not good". What do I do though? How do I get him to stop? If I paddle that sweet behind for his misbehavior I'm not so certain he will understand that the pooping is the bad thing, but the bathtub is not. I think he's conscience of what he is doing while doing it, but I'm not sure if he fully UNDERSTANDS all that is going on.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm tired of scrubbing the tub every night, and I sure don't want Ryan to think that it's okay to do that in the tub. On the brighter side...I SURE DO HAVE A CLEAN BATHTUB these days!

I apologize for all the discussion about poopy pooping issues.

6 comments:

a little love affair said...

Oh Julie.. Do I ever know what you are going through! Wyatt did the same thing and he was right about the same age as Ryan is now. Not sure why he did it! But I can say for Wyatt, it was more like a "phase" in his toddler years. It didn't last too long and I too was worried about having to discipline him for fear of when we started to potty train.I did the same thing you are doing now, and soon the bath water stayed clean :) Keep your fingers crossed this "phase" will pass quickly and your bathroom cleaner close by until it's over. Good Luck!

Kim said...

That is very common for kids Ryan's age. Don't make a big deal out of it, but don't let him think it's OK either. Show him where the poop belongs. The "phase" will pass.

twin power mommy ♥ said...

Gosh....i really don't know...Eli isn't in potty training mode, yet.

I bought him some underwear for his birthday, hoping he would be interested, but no such luck.

As far as poopy in the bathtub...perhaps stop bath time for awhile?
If it's something he really enjoys, he'll miss out on the enjoyment of a relaxing bath. You can stress that it's because he goes poo in there....dunno, just a thought.

Good luck with it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe put him in the bath for a few moments and then place him on the potty before he poos.

Hilary said...

Hello Julie,
I say before you put him in the tub put him on his little potty for a few minutes and tell/ask him to put his poopy in there...well that's what I would do. Man that's so gross. I know how it is though! Boys I tell you they are just nasty. I have one of each and my son he has just done things that my daughter would have never done so hang in there. it's a phase too. I went to underwear pretty fast too. Those pull-up where too much like diapers I thought. It was a rough couple of weeks with boths kids but pretty up hill from there. Hope that helps...

Kristi said...

Yeah, I agree with Maker and Kim! All four of my girls did that. But I just said, "oh gross, we don't do that in the tub, poo poo goes in the potty." Took them out cleaned the tub and put them back in. They stopped pretty quickly. I think the warm water relaxes their bowels or something? :)