Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Appointment Update

I was hoping to upload something very exciting, but it hasn't worked yet. I'll keep trying.

So today I had an appointment with the perinatologist. I went expecting a cervical length check and hoping to get a quick little peak at Baby Elmo. I was pleasantly surprised when they ended up doing a complete and thorough ultrasound of the baby.

First of all...he is most definitely a HE! So now I can add some blue to the blanket I'm crocheting. The ultrasound tech took a very close look at his organs, spine, heart, brain, bones, etc. Everything is looking good. We are at a higher risk of having a baby born with a heart defect, so it's always a relief to hear that at this time the heart is showing no signs of defects. Baby Elmo is measuring at 18 weeks which according to the calendar I will be reaching 18weeks tomorrow. His approximate weight is 8 ounces.

The other big check today was my cervical length. Cervical length can change despite having a cerclage. The cerclage helps and has been shown to greatly reduce the risk of a premature birth related to incompetent cervix. It is, however, not a guarantee. This leads to the necessity of regular cervical checks. The shorter a cervix is the less "holding power" it has and the increase risk of preterm labor. That being said, some women have a short cervix for weeks and manage to stay pregnant to term. They usually need closer monitoring. Okay so that was my little rant about that. So...

My cervix measured 3 cm today which is within the normal range and the doctor expressed no concerns. He encouraged me to keep doing what I've been doing. I return for another check in 2 weeks.

Ryan and Nana went to the appointment today too. Ryan was super cute. As soon as we walked into the exam/ultrasound room Ryan exclaimed, "Momma, baby tummy! Baby Elmo!" He has already figured out what goes on with each of my appointments. He knows that he either gets to "see" Baby Elmo or "hear" him. I'm so glad he is so excited. I just hope that excitement sticks around for when the baby actually arrives. (I wonder how long he'll think I have a baby in my tummy after the baby arrives?...hmmm.)

Nana is really enjoying going to appointments with me too. This is the first pregnancy she has been able to be this involved. I think she's already super attached to this little boy. Today she told me she didn't care what we named him just as long as we bring him over to her house. She LOVES her grandkids and loves to spend as much time as possible with each of them.

Baby Elmo
We think he looks a lot like Ryan.

No comments: