Tuesday, February 23, 2010

High Five!


I had another appointment with the perinatologist this morning. I was more than ready for this appointment because I had developed some concerns...contractions, more pressure and feeling more "down low", and a couple other things.

One of the worst things about having a history of high-risk pregnancies is that there is rarely a time when you just completely relax and have no concerns or fears. You have days and maybe even weeks when you rest and relax and feel as though all is well, but it takes just one little minute change to make you wonder. Talking to another mom with multiple pregnancy complications she said it well, "with every little thing you wonder if everything is okay. You worry if things are going poorly and if things are going great you worry about that too." I try not to worry in excess. With each of my pregnancies I've had a time when I've just had to place my kids in the arms of My Savior and rest in His comfort. That doesn't mean that I don't beg Him for their health, healing and safety. I even have a tendency to take them back as if I can be the one in control, but ultimately they (all 3 of my kiddos) have been placed in God's hands and I need to just learn to let them stay there.

At any rate...I had another peri. appt. today. I was in desperate need to have my mind put at ease. I wasn't trying to not be hopeful and optimistic, but I entered the office prepared for the possibility that it was time to move in to the hospital or at the very least it was time for strict bedrest (which I'm really starting to think will be less stressful for me if I get put in the hospital as opposed to trying to fight the challenges of strict bedrest at home). I told you I had some concerns.

The appointment went well. Baby Elmo looked great. He was in a very difficult position to get any good pictures. He was facing my back, head down and very low. This wasn't of concern to the doctor, but it is why I've been feeling so much extra movement and pressure "down low". He is measuring 20 weeks 1 day and 12 oz. With all the weight and pressure (and punches) down there I was pleasantly surprised when the ultrasound showed that my cervix has actually gained some length...3.3cm up from 3.0cm! WooHoo! It's not much, but I'll take it. The contractions aren't causing any cervical changes which is a very good thing and as long as I don't have more than 4 an hour it's okay. The other concerns I had were addressed and I left feeling good about me and baby.

Of other interesting news from today...
I saw the placenta on the ultrasound today. It's the first time I've really seen it. In the past I've been told "here it is or there it is", but it's kind of one of those times when you just nod and say "okay." The placenta is on the backside, so it's me...baby...placenta. Sometimes it's mom...placenta...baby. I don't know if one is more common or not. It doesn't really matter, but I thought it was interesting. It also explains why I started feeling Baby Elmo so early and why I feel him so much...every little kick, punch and even when he's just rolling around. There is no cushion (placenta) between me and the baby. That also probably explains why when he curls up in a ball it is often quite uncomfortable. I wonder if all the surgeries I've had along with endometriosis issues has made my uterus more sensitive because sometimes Baby gets in a position that almost hurts. I also wonder if this is a cause for the extra irritability. Awww...questions....

I return to the Perinatologist in 2 weeks at which time they will be doing the regular checks and complete ECHO on Baby Elmo.

So High Five for a great day!

Evan Alexander Stanfill
we're so excited to meet you. You're already wild and crazy and super fun. You're full of life. You're a great blessing to our family. We're praying that you're born healthy and strong...just please stay put until at least June 23rd.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Awwww...I love the name that you picked! It's so nice to hear a good report. With each appointment you get one step closer to reaching your goal. Continue to sit tight baby Evan!

BTW-While all of my pregnancies have been normal, I can say from experience that with each one, I could feel more and more "painful" movement. By the 4th one, I felt like I'd been through a boxing match by the end of each day!

Hilary said...

Love his name :) glad you had a good check up too!!!

B, E and C's Mommy said...

I've been following your blog for a few weeks now as I am at home on bed rest too! I like the feeling that I am not alone with all of my crazy fears/anxiety. I am very happy that your appointment went so well today and I love the name!!!
Blessings,
Angie

Daysha said...

This was a true blessing for me to read. Thank you for being so open and honest. We all can gain and learn from you. Praise the Lord for who He has made in you and thank you for honoring Him. I am praising Him with you for how strong baby Elmo is.