Saturday, May 29, 2010

Home, Nest, Abode, Castle, Residence

It's so good to be home! I sure did miss my home.

Things have been going well upon my return. The first night was rough. I couldn't sleep, couldn't get comfortable. My mind wouldn't settle and I had more contractions than normal to top it all off. Thankfully it was only that first night that was a bit alarming. Since then I've adjusted peacefully into my new surroundings.

Ryan is loving my return home. Initially he wanted me to be up and around and I guess back to "normal" but after explanations that I must remain in bed for a few more weeks he has once again accepted my altered-mommy role. For most of this week he has been very possessive of my time. He wanted to be the one and only one for which I'd give my time and attention. Possessive...but he's earned every right to be. He's doing better but he doesn't want to be very far from me. Thankfully he's calming down a little and we are able to play together on the bed. One of the greatest things for me through this new adjustment has been all the cuddles. He's not typically a super-cuddly kid, but this week he's relinquished some of the wild and crazies for some mighty awesome cuddles. I love, love, love it!

We've had some pretty funny moments with Ryan this past week. Through mid-week every time it was time to go home (Ryan and I go to my mom's house each morning and return home each evening with Daddy) Ryan would wave and tell me good-bye. When we would tell him I was going home with him his eyes would light up and his smile would grow wider in excitement. "OKAY!" he would exclaim. Each day was new and exciting to have momma come home again. On Thursday evening as we were driving home Ryan suddenly stopped with his normal story-telling in the backseat and said, "Can we please take momma back to the hospital so I can go up the stairs and down the stairs and get some worms?" (gummy worms from the vending machines on the 6th floor).

We're gradually trying to help Ryan understand that for now Momma will be staying home with him, and when it's time for Baby Evan to come that we will go back to the hospital and Momma and Daddy will have to stay for a few nights. It will be a short stay and Ryan can come see us everyday. I don't know how much he's understanding but hopefully it's enough that our return to the hospital won't be a total shock to him.

Speaking of hospital...I can't believe we're getting so close to a safe delivery of this precious little boy. 34 weeks today!!! I only have 2 more weeks of bedrest. On June 12th all the restrictions will be gone and the medications will be no more. I'll be a "normal" (although weak and sore) pregnant mommy! I'm so excited...and a little anxious too. I know how long 2 weeks can feel but I also know how fast it passes once you reach the end. After 2 weeks we can have this baby anytime! Our c-section is scheduled for July 2nd. I don't know that anyone is really expecting me to make it all the way to the 2nd, but then again my body could suddenly decide that being pregnant isn't so bad (and that would be just about fitting for the way things go).
------------------------------------------------
Since I'm now 34 weeks pregnant I suppose it's a good time to give an update...

Evan is probably weighing between 4-5 pounds. It's really hard to say how big he is since our last ultrasound at 32 weeks only had him measuring 3.5 pounds which was a bit smaller than I expected.

He is moving around great. It's an adjustment to go from being monitored 2 times a day to having no monitoring, so all I can rely on now is how well he's moving and how I'm feeling. All is well!

I'm feeling well. I'm not having many contractions throughout the days and nights with the exception of right around the day of my P17 injection. I'm now self-injecting those. I figured with only 3 injections remaining there was no since in trying to schedule someone to come give those each week. I know it's silly, but I felt like I'd accomplished something pretty amazing after that first shot this past Tuesday!

I guess I should be a little more honest. Feeling well is more of a generalized statement. Pregnancy related...yes I'm feeling well. However...(and here's my gripe so skip the rest of the paragraph if you're not in the mood)...my back hurts, I'm so sore I can barely walk (from all the bedrest and loss of muscle tone), my bladder is full all the time (reminiscent of those first few weeks of pregnancy), I'm not sleeping well because it's so hard to get comfortable and stay that way for very long (thankfully I have 3 different beds to choose from and I rotate between all 3 each night), the heartburn is a killer, my appetite is mostly non-existent because there's not much room left and...the heartburn is a killer, I'm so, so, so ready to be able to sit up more than lay down (which is probably ok by the doctor but I don't want to take any chances yet). On the bright side...most of these are just common pregnancy relate issues and that's awesome!!!

I came home with these medications: Procardia 1/day to keep my uterus calm, Terbutaline as needed to combat contractions if they occur, Magnesium Oxide and Potassium supplements each night to help relax my uterus. Prenatal vitamin each day. Levothyroxin each day for my thyroid (something I'll be taking from now on.

So for now we just hope and pray for another uneventful two weeks. Ohhh how it delights my heart to think of taking this baby home with us and skipping the NICU altogether.

I'll try to get some new pictures up soon.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Soooooo glad you are home and life is good :) Can't believe that little Evan will be here in just 2 weeks or so now..you should be SO PROUD of yourself and your body girl :) I can only imagine how happy Ryan and your honey are to have you home too!!!!!God is good:)