Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ultrasound today--

Evan is weighing approximately 3 pounds 5 ounces. He passed 8/8 on the biophysical profile. No change in the cervical measurement from 2 weeks ago. I'm grateful for no further shortening.

I'm very grateful for the good report. Unfortunately the experience itself was horrible. I sat in a wheelchair for over an hour in a little room waiting. Why don't they wait to come get me until they are actually ready?! I don't know if the tech had never done one before but she took some measurements, had to retake them at least twice and after finishing and leaving the room came back twice because she "forgot" to measure a few things (aminiotic fluid level, blood flow through the cord, etc.) When it came time for the trans-vag u/s for the cervix she looked at the wand and asked me, "do you stick this thing in or do I?" (Sorry for those that up until this point had no idea how the cervical u/s was done.) Are you serious?! Needless to say that ended up being the roughest (most violating) cervical u/s I've ever had. I'm hoping that horrible ultrasound doesn't start anything tonight. So far no extra contractions though. That's good.

3 hours after leaving for the u/s I was returned to my room feeling a little like Cinderella. Just another ugly stepchild. Anything but a beautiful pregnant mommy walking around with her ever-expanding belly showing off the miracle of new life growing within her. Anything but that lovely pregnant mom planning her nursery, shopping for cute baby things, attending showers. Anything but that special person strangers give up their place in line for, help in ways you never expected and showering her with oohs and aahs because the miracle of life growing within her is so noticeable and so aah inspiring.

2 comments:

Chris & AnnMarie said...

Hey Julie,
I know exactly what you're feeling. It's really tough to spend your days laying in a hospital...instead of outside enjoying pregnancy. I'm so sorry. If you ever need to talk to someone who understand, email me at nursekolkhorst@yahoo.com

I'm so happy that Evan is doing so good...he's precious! Hopefully you have a few more weeks at least and you will be out of that place in no time!

Take care and praying for you!

Ann Marie

Janelle said...

Oh my sweet Julie...
I am so sorry. I can't imagine how you are feeling, but my heart breaks for you. We all dream of the way it should be, unfortunately some of us don't have it work out that way. Please know that you are an inspiration to those of us that don't have the perfect dream, I consider you our leader. :) Draw strength from us when you need it, we certainly draw it from you.
Hang in there...Evan is the luckiest little guy, his mommy is already his hero!
Love you.
Janelle