Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Beat Me?...Sure...That Would Be Great!

Ryan had a runny nose on Friday. He didn't sleep well during the night because he was too stopped up to breathe well and he was coughing. On Saturday he was still coughing and congested. Sunday was the same, but we weren't all that concerned. However on Sunday night he was still coughing a little, and I thought I heard a little wheezing. I decided, somewhat reluctantly, to take him to the doctor yesterday. I was hoping to completely avoid the doctor's office at least until April because where else do sick people gather the most?...at doctor's office waiting rooms.

After nearly an hour of waiting we saw the doctor. I was really expecting (hoping) that the doctor was going to say it was a simple cold or allergies or even teething. Much to my surprise Dr. S said Ryan sounds like he has RSV. The progression of symptoms fit, and he said his lungs sound very typical of a baby fighting RSV. Oh my!

Do you know how disappointing this is? I've spent the last 6 months doing everything I possibly know how to do to keep Ryan well, and especially free of RSV. There is probably no way we will know where he could've been exposed. Many of you know we don't go anywhere with Ryan. RSV can live on hard surfaces for at least 6 hours. More than likely I brought it home from Wal-Mart or Wade brought it home from work.

So all in all we are now battling RSV at my house. Ryan is on breathing treatments every 6 hours as needed. The doctor said it is very mild at this point and the Synigis was probably the biggest contributor keeping him from getting horribly ill. We are praying for rapid healing of this infection and definitely that it progresses no further.

I'm having trouble uploading the video. I'll try later.

No comments: