Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Guess What's New

Guess what's new at our house!


Guess what's missing... :)


I remember as a kid having a fish tank. I enjoyed it and have always found fish tanks, the sites and sounds, to be very relaxing. I could spend hours staring at a fish tank with delicate music playing softly in the background.

The first time I took Ryan to the zoo his favorite place was the aquarium. He seemed mesmerized by the fish. I decided then that I wanted to have a fish tank at home. Ryan's Mimi's Mom lovingly gave us her fish tank. She was finished with it and was wanting it gone. I mentioned we were looking for one, and now we have one. It's just the right size, 20 gallons. It's not too small and not too large.

Ryan and I went to the pet store today and bought the gravel, filtration system and aerator. I'm still researching what fish we should have. I know, I know...I'm probably putting way to much thought into this fish tank. I want it to be fun for everyone, and I want it to be relatively easy since it's the first fish tank I've had in a number of years.

We came home with our new treasures and I began to "assemble" our aquatic environment for our soon to be adopted fish. It took me ALL afternoon, but I had a little two foot helper that insisted on taking the hose, chewing on the cords, grabbing everything. Amidst several crashes, a few crying spells, and many "please hold me for minute" moments we finally were able to get everything hooked up and running. I think it looks great! What do you think? The only thing we need now are some fish!

Speaking of crashes...

Ryan had his first major, bloody crash yesterday. We were over at Nana's (my mom) house. Poor Nana, she's beginning to think that everytime we come over Ryan has a catastrophic event. Anyway...he fell, HARD, and hit is mouth. I thought he had hit his head and quickly picked him up from the wailing heep into which he had fallen. I was looking the back of his head over when someone said, "he's bleeding!" I panicked! I looked, and then I saw it...blood was pouring out of his mouth. We rushed to the kitchen and grabbed some water, an ice cube and a cloth. After further inspection I saw that Ryan had a tiny (minute, really) cut on the corner of his upper lip. Boy! did it bleed though. [Mimi...If you're reading this...I thought of you!]

Ryan has not acted like he is feeling just great for a few days now. I think it's teething. I hope it's just teething. He has a horrible diaper rash that I've been struggling to keep under control. It looks like it's healing, but the next time I change him it's red and raw again. Ugh. He's been having "not diarrhea but not far from it" stools lately. I don't know. I had an "oh no!" moment today. I was preparing to change yet another poopy diaper when I noticed that the contents were black. Black stools mean blood. Black means bleeding higher up in the digestive system, red is lower. Alarmed, I decided before calling the doctor I would do a little internet research. It was then that I remembered...YESTERDAY...Ryan's crash! I expect the black is from the blood swallowed during that episode. I'll keep an eye on it though. If it continues I'll call the doctor tomorrow.

2 comments:

My2BoysNMe said...

Our theory on the fish is "buy the cheap goldfish". Especially for the first time. That way IF they... you know... you're only out 28 cents! However, the downside to this is that we had one that DIDN'T... you know... and now he's huge and we can't put much else in there until he... well, you know...

twin power mommy ♥ said...

i didn't read this post before i left my last comment. i couldn't agree more with you on the fish sounds, the tank noises, etc.
all those things bring relaxing thoughts to my mind.
sorry about ryans' crash and boo-boo. hope he's feeling better today