Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Grab a Blankie

Grab a blankie, some hot cocoa and settle down...all nice and cozy. I have some stories to tell. First I need to back up and catch up on some recent history. (Before I forget did you know that on Jeopardy today, in the category entitled something like "New Words", blankie was the answer to a clue regarding an object that children find soothing and comforting---aaah...trivia...that's all).

Last Saturday my mom and I took Ryan for his Christmas pictures. It was...well...interesting to say the least. I made the appointment for 9:40 a.m. since Ryan's best time of the day is in the morning before he gets tired and needs a nap. I also figured I needed to get the pictures taken as early as possible before a new bruise, scrape or scratch mysteriously appeared on his face (did you notice the Santa pictures...more about that in a minute). I also wanted to get him in before all the germ-infested coughers and sneezers made it out of bed and to the mall. We are trying to be as careful as possible so he doesn't get RSV since he has no extra protection for that this winter. We arrived at the studio at 9:30. They were already waaaay behind. They opened at 9. How could they already be way behind by 9:30 you ask? Yea...I wondered that too. Hmmmm.

Well, we waited and waited, and then it happened! A mouse! Yes. A mouse ran out from under a table startling my mom who gasped. The other customers asked her if she was okay. She said she saw a mouse. Alerted now, everyone grabbed their kids. The photographers asked if something was wrong. Someone mentioned a mouse. Out the mouse came. Across the floor the mouse ran. The photographer saw it, freaked out, dropped everything and ran out of the studio screaming and crying. Undoubtedly she has a true phobia of mice.

After the chaos subsided one of the other photographers (I referred to the above mentioned photographer as the "the" photographer for a reason...she's the best one) asked if we were ready. I reluctantly said yes. We gathered our stuff and began our session. Remember, they were already way behind. Now they were way, way behind because of a tiny little mouse. The atmosphere was hurry, hurry, hurry. Ryan was terrified of the photographer. He has never acted scared with "the" photographer and she has always been extra patient and kind with him.

To make a long story short. She snapped a few pictures. I could tell that none of them were what I was hoping to get. (I always go with an idea in mind of what type of pictures I hope we can capture, but hope I am pleasantly surprised to find even better ones to choose from.) I was just hoping that a few of them were worth purchasing. We did, in fact, get a few. The selection of worthy pictures was slim, but that only helped to make the selection process quick and relatively cheap. Now we have Christmas pictures. They will be here on Thursday. I'll share them then.

Now...on to other things.

My doctor's appointment went very well yesterday. The medications are working as planned this month (as opposed to last month). Now it is just a timing issue and a wait and see thing.

Last night's party was great. Ryan didn't really know what to think of Santa. He was *interested* in him, but leery of him too. He didn't cry for the pictures, but he wanted me to be within reach. I ducked out of the way for the pictures. Did you notice the bruise on the middle of his forehead. He did that on Sunday. He pulled my hair straightening iron off the cabinet and onto his head Sunday morning. At least it wasn't hot. Nothing like cutting it close for those Christmas pictures!

Today was a crazy day. The weather changed...drastically. The high today was about 42 with temperatures falling into the 20's by late afternoon. Snow. Cold. WINDY. Icey. The weather was in rare form today. Ryan was in rare form today.

First of all, Ryan thought he needed to carry around his stool to all parts of the house. This is his stool he uses to reach the bathroom sink to wash his hands.I don't have a problem with him carrying around his stool other than it makes him mad. It's almost as big as he is, and he gets very upset when it doesn't go where he wants it to go.

This is when he carried it into his room to use it as a ladder to get on top of the bed. I really thought he was going to use it to climb into and out of his crib. I think he thought about it today. Oh my!

Ryan wanted to play UNDER the Christmas tree which meant that he first had to take out all of the presents and scatter them around the living room.

(Here is our half-decorated tree)
At least he didn't try to open any of the presents. I just re-wrapped the present he opened the other day.Somebody IS going to have a present with a little extra slobber on it though.

We have a gate we use to block off the dogs' water and food. Ryan has watched to dogs scoot under the gate many times. Today I couldn't keep him on the "right" side of the gate. I think the boy thinks he's a dog! Oh...and yes...I have lowered the gate, but Zoe can't get under it when it's much lower. Besides, you should see how low it can go and Ryan still be able to slink under it. He would win playing the limbo any day.

After Ryan's nap the power went off! The power was off for over an hour. Ryan and I played in the dark (it really wasn't that dark). We dumped the toy box and sorted through toys, removing the "baby" toys. I was glad when the power came back on. It was getting a little too cool in the house for Ryan.

As the afternoon wore on and weather continued to get colder and more wintry we decided to do some cooking. I made cranberry jello salad. I always try to let Ryan help me in the kitchen as much as possible. He usually pulls up a chair or step stool and watches, helping me. I showed him the cranberries and explained that we needed to pull out the bad ones and wash the rest. He grabbed a handful and took off running.

Lesson learned...raw cranberries are VERY SOUR!Very sour things make for much drool. He spit them out, wiped all the pieces off his tongue, looked at them with disgust...and...proceeded to stick them back in his mouth. Goofy kid!

This evening he was a bit on the defiant side and managed to be banned to his room on a couple different occasions for a minute or two to "think about it". We did not "spare the rod" any tonight.

Bath time was a welcome break from the chaos. After his bath his daddy and I put clothes on him and let him run around for a while before it was time for bed. When I walked down the hall
...this is what I saw!


1 comment:

twin power mommy ♥ said...

When my girls were a little older than one, i would wash them in the bathroom sink. Just like that pic of Ryan in the sink, it reminded me of those days with the girls.

I was exhausted after reading all that you have gone through in the last couple days.

Sounds like your little man keeps you super busy.
Perhaps this weekend will be a restful one?!