Monday, July 13, 2009

Two Cuties...Three Hats

All things are well with the Stanfill family.  Ryan is still just up to being "cute" with his hats...all three of them.  He thinks he has to wear them from the moment he wakes up almost until it's time for bed...all three of them.  

Myndi is doing well.  She is sleeping well at night with only a need for a relief at about 1.  She thinks it's time to get up at 5.  I really don't mind waking up at 5.  It gives me a whole hour all to myself...well...and my playful puppy.  She is doing well with the potty training business and is (for the most part) having more "hooray moments" and less "bad dog" moments (if you know what I mean).  It's been awhile since I've done any serious puppy training, including puppy potty training.  Professional puppy trainers now discourage displays of anger and frustration and encourage displays of praise and encouragement when training.  I'm trying.  It's not the way I've always seen it done.  All the dogs we trained when I was a kid was done like this:  

Scenario 1:  Puppy poops on floor.  Adult grabs pup by scruff of neck and promptly smashes nose into said "gift" with loud shouts of "Bad dog! No! No! Bad dog!".  Puppy is tossed outside.

I'm trying to train Myndi like it's recommended to do...with a few little alterations of my own.  When I see a squat, I display a bit of displeasure, but it's to startle and create a little concern.  However...I have found that Myndi is HIGHLY MOTIVATED by cheese!  Cheese is now reserved only for potty successes.  She has gotten to the point of going outside and immediately doing the duty while looking up at me in anticipation of the small little morsel.  Now if I can just get her to see that going inside is not appropriate and definitely does not result in cheese.  That would be great!  

Here are some fun things about our new puppy, and then to leave the subject of puppies.  Myndi loves water.  She and Ryan find it great fun to create big mud puddles in the backyard and then splash around in them together.  She has even jumped into the swimming pool a few times.  She nips at the water as she swims.  Myndi also likes to slide!  She hasn't got the hang of climbing the ladder, but I would imagine she will have it mastered soon.  Myndi has a tendency to herd us around which is natural to her breed, but something we will have to manage so she doesn't try to herd others and end up hurting someone.  (Aussies herd by nipping at the heels as opposed to GSD's using their body as a barrier and herding that way).  Myndi alreay knows her name and comes when called (most of the time).

I may be gone from the blog for a few days (alternatively you may have to endure a blogging increase) as I will be having surgery on Wednesday.  Tomorrow I have to "tank-up" on Gatorade.  I think I'm supposed to drink nearly a gallon of the stuff.  Tomorrow afternoon I have to chug down 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate.  If you've not ever experienced that...just know that you really should be sympathizing with me tomorrow afternoon.  It's not going to be fun. Wednesday morning we have to leave the house at 4 in order to arrive at the hospital at 5.  Surgery is scheduled for 7ish.  There was a last minute change of location today.  Originally it was scheduled at Mercy.  Now, due to insurance (a big bunch of crap), it is at Integris Baptist.  I am familiar with Mercy and LOVE IT!  I'm sure Integris is a great hospital, too.  I'm not familiar with it.  I've not had any personal experiences there other than with my daughter.  I don't know any of the nurses.  I've heard some not so great things about certain ares of the hospital.  The list goes on, but basically...I AM VERY NERVOUS!  Please pray for me.  

2 comments:

Kim said...

We're praying that your surgery goes well!

Hilary said...

The pictutes are great..good luck with the potty training of Myndi!! I will be praying for you and your surgery..have a great time drinking!!