Sunday, July 27, 2008

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

I've never been too great at making decisons. For one, I'm always afraid I'll make the wrong decision. For two, unfortunately, I'm too concerned with what others will think. I've been in several lectures and classes discussing ways of "dealing" with decisions including writing out all the pros and cons, creating graphs and charts, seeking advice, etc., etc. I've gotten better through the years and now I find myself mentally comparing the pros and cons and seeking counsel through prayer. I've told my family and some friends this so they won't find it too terribly shocking, but I sure do wish that God would just write on the wall what He wants me to do in those big decisions. You know...those life-changing, life-altering, family-affecting decisions.


I feel God gives me wisdom to make wise everyday decisions. I pray for wisdom a lot. Not to say that I always make the right decisions on the little things. Trust me I find myself seeking forgiveness quite often. You know that list I presented a few days ago...number 29...I ought to be a pro at that...if only my pride didn't stick it's ugly head in everything. I've also made plenty of decisions...even some lately...that even though they didn't hurt anyone they've been foolish and I've had to live with the regret.


The decisions I struggle with the most are those "BIG" decisions. I think I know what's the right thing to do. I think I know what God wants for me regarding the decision, but...then I question...is that me talking because I want/don't want something or is that God whispering to me? Ugh! Like I said I just wish God would write it on the wall, and He might as well write it in a couple of places because I'm probably just too bull-headed to believe I actually read the first one right. Ryan's room is painted in chalkboard paint so that wall is a good place. I'd even go for burning the message in my grass!


Anyway...

I've been faced with one of those really "BIG" decisions recently for which I must present an answer within a few days. I've spent most of the day thinking about it. I've presented it to my family to consider, seeking their advice. Trust me I've weighed the pros and cons, and they pretty much cancel each other out. Now I just need to know the right thing to do!


I'm not going to give the details of what this decision is at this time. Please pray for me. Pray that my mind would be clear. Pray that my heart would be open. Pray that the "noise" of this world would fade away so I can hear what I need to hear. I've worked myself up almost to tears considering what I should do. I can't even think straight. Pray for wisdom. Pray for peace.

No comments: