Thursday, July 24, 2008

Did You Hear?

Did you hear the exciting news...Tomorrow, Friday, is my birthday! I love birthdays. Not to say that I don't sometimes not look fondly on the prospect of getting older, but I love birthdays...the excitement, the start of a new year, the reminder of God's grace. Tomorrow I will officially be 29, and what's even better is it's my first 29!

I borrowed this from Jodi:
Here's a creative twist on a life "to-do" list: 30 things to know or do by the time you're 30:
1. To take your hat off while eating.
2. To bring a hostess gift. --Didn't realize it was appropriate. What do I bring? What type of parties are we talking about?
3. Have a valid passport.--I figure I ought to do this sometime.
4. How to make small talk.
5. Your credit score.
6. And your blood type.
7. How to do laundry.
8. And scramble eggs.
9. Your parents' birthdays.
10. How to drive a stick shift.--I know how, but I've had little practice and am not very good at it, does that count?
11. And order a bottle of wine.--Wouldn't have a clue. There's several different "colors" of wine isn't there?
12. How to set up, and check, bank and credit card balances online.
13. How to wrap a gift.
14. Own a suitcase.
15. Have a local florist, not 1-800 FLOWERS.
16. How to negotiate.
17. And compromise.
18. How to jump a car/change a tire.--Again...I know how, but I've never had to do it
19. Have a retirement plan.
20. When to stop drinking.
21. How to file a complaint.--I've actually had to do this recently.
22. How to make a bed -- complete with hospital corners.--Oh yeah! I can do it and it looks good
23. Own a pair of jeans you can wear out to dinner.--I have a pretty nice pair and I can wear them out to dinner especially since most the places we go out to are places where shorts are okay.
24. How to play a sport (excelling not required).
25. How much cologne is too much.--The best way I've ever heard this described is that cologne/perfume is worn most likely to impress that certain "someone" and if everyone can smell it then it's no longer special between you and that "someone" and it's too much
26. When you need a dinner reservation.
27. To tip the maid in a hotel.--Ooops. How do you leave a tip for the maid? How much is acceptable? Do you tip regardless of your length of stay or only if you are staying for more than one night?
28. To make exceptions for children, and seniors.
29. How to apologize.--I could really get better on this one.
30. How to give a good hug.

The picture above is of "Julie Flowers" as my family so lovingly calls them. They're actually "Naked Ladies" and actually have some fancy scientific name of which I have no clue. They bloom each year around my birthday. These bloomed just a day or two ago in my mom's garden. She's been waiting on them to bloom for a couple of years now and this year they finally bloomed. She actually cut them and gave them to me. I can't believe she actually gave them to me. My mom is amazing. Sometimes I'm amazed by how much she loves me.

2 comments:

Misty said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!



That is VERY sweet of your mother.

twin power mommy ♥ said...

Well Happy Birthday to you! Are you doing anything special today/tonight?

Those flowers are very pretty. That WAS indeed sweet of your mama to give those to you.
Hope you enjoy your special day!