Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One Sick Little Boy

I have one very sick little boy.

I took Ryan to the doctor this morning, not because he seemed to be so horribly sick compared to his other recent illnesses, but he gets sick every 2 weeks. I can almost write it on the calendar. He gets sick. It lasts 10 days to 2 weeks. He's well for 2 weeks. He gets sick for two weeks and then he's well for 2 weeks. We've been doing this for months now. I decided it was time to talk to the doctor, and boy am I glad I went ahead and made an appointment. As the morning wore on Ryan's breathing got worse and worse.

Our appointment was at 10:20. We arrived at 10:05. We were finally put in an exam room at 11:15. That was a miserable wait in the waiting room. An hour sitting in a waiting room with a sick toddler is like...well...it's just bad. (I can't think of any good analogies tonight.)

The beginning of the conversation with Dr. S went like this:

Dr.: "Hey, guys how is everyone doing today?"
Me: "I'm good, he's not so good."
Dr.: Before I finish talking..."Man, he sounds awful. I'm glad you brought him in when you did, this is bad."

Dr S. theorizes that Ryan is having some MAJOR allergy problems with the possibility of some asthma-type stuff. He really didn't think Ryan "picked" up anything like a virus or bacterial infection. I'm not so sure on that, but I'll trust his judgment.

Dr. S. put Ryan on an antibiotic for 3 days, an oral steroid for 5, alburterol breathing treatments for as long as necessary, pulmocort (steroid) breathing treatments for at least a week, zyrtec, nasocort, and maybe one other med, but it escapes me at the moment. Ryan is now old enough to have his own inhaler with a spacer for when we are out and about instead of lugging around the nebulizer. This is a very good thing. I haven't tried the spacer/inhaler yet because he was desperately needing a breathing treatment when we got home and since I'm familiar with the nebulizer it was the quickest way I could get him some medicine.

We were unable to get the Pulmicort (steroid) because of insurance issues, so I'll be calling the doctor about it tomorrow. After insurance paid their measly $100 our part of the bill was going to be $300!

Dr. S. also referred us to the Allergy and Asthma Clinic at Children's Hospital. We will be receiving a call from them someday soon and I'll keep everyone informed when I know more.

Since we've been home Ryan has really been having some problems breathing. Up until his last breathing treatment we were just steps away from taking him to the ER. He's been breathing fast, with retractions, and wheezing. I gave him a breathing treatment at 8:00 p.m. That seemed to help. I will be sleeping in his room tonight.

2 comments:

Bootsy said...

Oh, I hope Ryan gets feeling better soon. We will keep him in our prayers. Let's hope he is feeling great for the walk!

Anonymous said...

My heart and prayers go out to you and Ryan!! My son went through something similar, and was on all of those same meds. It is scary and EXPENSIVE. One trip to the Target pharmacy was $800 (with insurance)!!!!!! I made myself crazy counting breaths per minute, heartrate, etc. The GOOD news is that he has really improved with age. He is 5 now, and although he has Reactive Airway, it is only during Oak season and is easily managed. Hang in there and I will keep you all in my prayers.