Thursday, April 30, 2009

That Was Totally Unexpected

Okay....Ryan is two! I realize that two year olds have scrapes, scratches, bumps and bruises. He seems to be getting a new one every day. For the March for Babies Walk this weekend Ryan now has at least 3 noticeable bruises on his head and 1 black eye. This kid...I swear. At least it is going to be cool enough for him to wear long pants because I don't even want to discuss his legs (think dogs, cement, sticks, playing outside in shorts, clumsy). I was having a discussion with my hairdresser today about kids and accidents. It's so sad that in today's society you almost have to question whether or not someone will think your kid is being abused when they go around looking like my sweet boy with all his bruises. I promise...every one of the bruises was by his own doing. I guess it can also be a good thing, too. With this new heightened awareness of abuse perhaps more children are being *saved* from their abusers. I hope. Oh...and yes...I did get my hair cut today.

Ryan did something new today, and although I thoroughly enjoy most of his new things this new thing was totally unexpected and not so much of a good thing. Since Ryan turned 2 he has introduced us to the concept of TEMPER TANTRUMS. Those were totally expected...and most of the time I find them to be quite comical. I just have to make sure he is on the carpet before thrusting himself to the ground in a good, lung-enhancing scream. They don't annoy me. I realize that he is trying to develop his independence and when things don't go quite like he expected he gets very frustrated. For example he wants to drive his truck between the chair and the table and he or it won't fit. When I get frustrated I sometimes want to scream (sometimes I do), so the fact that his frustration brings about a meltdown doesn't bother me one bit. The only tantrums I don't allow to go undisciplined are those where he is mad because he isn't getting his way. For example he wants another cookie and I said "no". Those are a first-class ticket to his room. I don't want to watch a bratty fit. The ones that ensue because Ryan hasn't learned all the laws of Physics...those are the ones I find myself chuckling at.

Well...tonight Ryan wanted to play with the Mr. Potato Head. Mr. Potato Head has sooooo many pieces and I had already picked them up at least one or two times earlier in the day and it was almost bedtime and I was watching a show and it was almost time for bed and I didn't want to pick up all the pieces again and we already had plenty of stuff strung out that would need to be picked up before bedtime and it was almost time for bed and I was watching one of my favorite shows. (Hey...I only have about 2 shows I thoroughly enjoy which equals to about 2 hours total during the entire week that I just want to be left alone to really, really watch tv.) Ryan tried to open Mr. Potato Head (the hat unscrews so all the many pieces can be freed). He was unsucessful. He got very frustrated. He then started banging his head on the floor...repeatedly. Not just a tap on the floor or a tap on the toy causing the frustration as he has been known to do in the past but an all out BANGING HIS HEAD ON THE FLOOR. He will probably have a new bruise on the middle of his forehead to add to the ones he was already collecting. That was totally unexpected. I had to physically pick him up and bear hug him to get him to settle down. He bear hugged right back as though he was saying "Thanks mom. Do you still love me? Am I going to be okay?" I just held him tight and rocked him until he felt calm enough to get down and play again. That was the most severe meltdown he has ever had.

Oh my...what do I do with this one? Is this concerning or is this just another new normal 2-year-old thing?

No comments: