Friday, April 18, 2008

Toddler Defined

Nutrition is really big with me. I love it and hate it. It terrifies me and excites me. It confuses and intrigues me. I studied it in college, and at one time I considered pursuing a career in the field of nutrition. Alas...I spent some time today trying to find some information on what to feed my wonderful toddler. I came across the following on one of the sites (http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/):

We like to define a toddler as:

  • A child who is between the age of 12 months and 48 months old (1 year and 4 years old)
  • One who loves to eat [xyz] food one day and then dislikes that very same [xyz] food the next day
  • One who requires a lot of clean laundry, tidying-up after, and lots of attention, and constant amusement and stimulation
  • One who is methodical and focused in his or her attempts at launching a spoonful of mashed potatoes as easily as a robotic arm assembles a car!
  • One who's innocence and wonder inspires us to do better
  • One who possesses an abundance of love.
  • One who is unconditional in the giving, and delightful in the receiving of that love, along with showering hugs, kisses and smiles to those around him or her;
    a true joy and a true blessing to treasure

I love it! I must address points 2 and 4 today. When I first read point 2 I chuckled, but it wasn't a laugh of agreement. It was more of a "yea, okay..." Now I laugh in agreement. Ryan has always loved mashed potatoes, and tonight I put a pile of them on his tray. He stuck his sweet little hand in the potatoes and commenced to look at me like I was crazy. I spooned a little of the potatoes into his mouth of which he gave me on of those "that's the most disgusting thing ever; what do you expect me to do with that?!"

Point 4 is becoming more and more of a normal around our house. The dogs absolutely love his new found excitement in watching his food hit the floor. Along these same lines...Today Ryan was drinking from his bottle. As the contents were near the end Ryan thought nothing of casually pitching it across the room. I guess he was finished. The things he comes up with....

Ryan is such an amazing little guy. I feel tremendously blessed. He delights my heart everyday!

No comments: