Saturday, November 15, 2008

Big Congratulations!!! (and other things)

A GREAT BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!
To my little brother and his wife...they are expecting a baby!
Ryan's new cousin should be arriving in July.


-------------------------------------------------------------

These couple of pictures have nothing to do with the post title, but I thought they were cute. It's a glimpse of the craziness in our house.


Well...I'm sad to say that we must start our hibernation. In fact we should have started it last week. I just couldn't make myself do it. I wanted one last "hoorah" week, and since I didn't have to work on Friday I decided to make this past week our last week of freedom. We had a very fun and busy week.

On Monday evening we went to a Thanksgiving Dinner celebration for NICU graduates and their families. It was great. One thing I've learned is that once you have a preemie you enter into a new "family" that only preemie parents can belong too. It's a family that understands, loves, rejoices and mournes all the wonderful, exciting and disappointing aspects of having a preemie. No one can truly enter this "family" unless they, too, have had a preemie (or NICU graduate...as some are not actually preemies). That being said...it's great to get together with people who have experienced the same things we've experienced. I love hearing everyone's story and I love telling ours.

Tuesday was just a regular day. We spent the day at home.

Wednesday evening we went to a Preemie Honoring Ceremony to honor and recognize our (families in Oklahoma) preemies...both those who are living and those who we've lost. It was another great night.

Thursday was a slow day at work and since Ryan and I had a nutrition appointment to attend in the afternoon I forwarded my calls to my cell and spent the afternoon running errands and sitting and waiting in...The Health Department. (If you could hear me say that it's with a very ominous tone.)

On Friday Ryan and I had a doctor's appointment. Ryan's ears looked fine. Dr. S said that he had negative pressure but that was because his tubes are small. More importantly he said that it shouldn't cause any hearing problems. Think of riding in an airplane and having the feeling that you need to "pop" your ears. That's what Ryan is probably feeling with this negative pressure. I also had an appointment because I've had this irritating skin problem for several months. I just wanted to get it checked out. It's psoriasis...chronic, irritating, controllable. After our appointments Ryan and I did some Thanksgiving dinner shopping and some Christmas shopping...oooh fun!

Okay...are you ready for this...think back to "The Health Department. Picture in your mind a room packed, with no seats available. Kids running around everywhere. Toys in the middle of the room. Waiting for almost 2 hours. Got the picture? Last night I was awakened to the sound of a rather course barking type sound over the baby monitor. I sprang out of bed and into Ryan's room. He's sick. He's snotty, stopped up, congested, coughing, can't breathe through his nose, hoarse. He's sick. I told you I should have started our hibernation last week. I really feel that his yuckies came from the health department though. I can't wipe down everything in the health department. You better believe that I do wipe everthing I can with disinfectant wipes. I carry them (and Germ-X) in my car. I wipe down every surface Ryan might touch on a shopping cart and I also use a shopping-cart cover. I use germ-x more than lotion.

This season I'm a little more nervous in some respects. Yes...Ryan's immune system is much stronger than last year, but he also received extra immunity boosts through the Synigis (RSV) shots. This year he doesn't qualify. I sure would feel better if he did.

Momma and Baby Bear are hiding in their cave...see you next spring!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

We're hibernating as well. I wish we could all stay together in one big (heavily sanitized) cave. That would sure make the winter pass by more quickly. I think Ryan and Olivia are the only micro-preemies under the age of 2 that didn't qualify for the Synagis shots. :( Makes me so nervous!

twin power mommy ♥ said...

That's so hard.

I remember having to be SUPER crazy about germs with the girls.

It was nice when Eli came around, i didn't worry as much. That kids' immune system is great!

I still love antibacterial wipes and Purell (or Germ-X) though. It is used quite frequently in our home and while we're out and about.

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving shopping is most enjoyable thing to me these days…. I have mostly completed it's list.