Thursday, November 20, 2008

Little Better

Ryan is doing a little better. He's by no means close to his regular self yet.

I took him to the doctor yesterday to have everything checked out. The entire time I was driving I was praying that Ryan would just sound awful. Not because I wanted him to be sick, but because I wanted the doctor to clearly hear and see what we've been dealing with for the past week. Of course when we enter the office Ryan doesn't cough once, snot wasn't dripping to his toes, his lungs sounded okay, he wasn't breathing fast, he wasn't wheezing. The doctor more or less looked at me like I was crazy and said he was doing "great". He said I could give him Benadryl 3 times a day to help clear up any congestion he may have. (I think Benadryl makes my little guy extra cranky. I haven't experimented with it yet, but since I've been giving him more Benadryl he sure has been extra wired and cranky. He just wanders around the house whining. I'll be so glad when he is completely well...poor little guy.) I guess I can say that I'm glad the doctor didn't think it is RSV. He didn't test him for anything. He just said it was probably a virus.

Ryan is still coughing. His cough still sounds horrible. You know the kind...the deep from the bottom of the lungs, wet, coarse, can't quite get it all up...kind of a cough. He is coughing less for which I'm grateful. He is still crying for his breathing treatments. They are loosening everything up for him. I'm amazed that he can tell, but on 2 or 3 different occasions over the last couple days Ryan has cried unconsolably until we gave him a breathing treatment.

I'm really glad Mr. Tux is a permanent part of our family (thank you BCBS).

A very sweet thing about all of this is that one of the only *activities* Ryan really wants to do is sit a read books, which is so unlike him. He's definitely been Momma's sidekick...He doesn't want me more than about 5 feet away at all times.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I'm glad to hear that Ryan is a little bit better. Don't you just love it when they try to prove you wrong at the doctor. I cannot tell you how many times that our kids have had a temp of 102, and when you get to the doctor, no temp at all. Be careful with the Benedryl. It might dry up his congestion, but then he might not be able to cough up all of the nasty stuff in his lungs. Believe it or not, the wet cough is better most of the time.

My2BoysNMe said...

You do know they pipe antibiotic mist into the duct work at the doctor's office, don't you? I got this from a very reliable source and I'm just sure it's really true! Sure explains alot!

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if you had tried an expectorant. The Doctor always had us give our kids that. They have these little packets of musinex (that may be spelled wrong) and they are like powdered candy. It helps SO much.

twin power mommy ♥ said...

What a cute nebulizer.
We have the fishy masks for the girls (i just use the regular pipe looking one) and we have a plain boring breathing machine.

Mr. Tux is certainly more fun!