Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Celebrations

We've had a great couple of days of celebrating our thanks.

We put up the Nativity in our front yard a couple of days before Thanksgiving.
Here is Ryan adjusting the camel.
----------------------------------------------
Isn't it pretty...
Do you think little puppies were actually part of the real Nativity?
By the way...I highly highly recommend the movie "The Nativity Story". It's fantastic!
----------------------------------------------
Ryan received new Harley clothes from his Gammaw and Pawpaw.
Because of that he had to pose on his new motorcycle (an early Christmas present from previously mentioned grandparents). Doesn't he look cool!
-----------------------------------------------
After Dinner on Thursday we put up the Christmas tree.
Ryan is such a great little helper. He is our de-tangler of lights...or something like that. :)
I don't have any after pictures of our decorated tree. I'm still deciding what to do. Ryan undecorated the tree faster than I was able to get the ornaments on. He was kind enough to bring me his new found "treasures" to replenish my stock though.
I have a dilemma. Do I just decorate the tree...the top half, or do I decorate the entire tree and spend all day keeping Ryan away from the tree or is there some other way? (I'm picturing long days with many meetings between Ryan and the "Rod of Correction") If you're a Mom (or dad) what did you do? Ryan is just at that age where he is VERY mobile and can pretty much climb the tree, but he doesn't yet have that reasoning ability of an older kid to understand that you "look...don't touch"
-----------------------------------------------
Ummm......
That's Eddy.
------------------------------------------------
We celebrated at Nana's house on Friday.
Nana fed Ryan a bowl of Cool Whip. This kid has had so much junk over the last few days it's unreal. I did discover something exciting about food though. I gave him a candycane and expected him to just suck on it. He chomped it and ate it like a pro. This kid can eat just about anything. I think our days of being extra careful about having extra mushy food are over.
------------------------------------------------
Nana's Tree...
"Ooooh...Pretty. I think I'll take this one."
-------------------------------------------------
What better way to end a day...
than by sitting in the dog dish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your header! Now how did you do that? :) I want to learn.

When our kids were little they did the same thing with the Christmas tree. We usually put non-breakable things at the bottom and kept telling them "no, go put it back." Of course, we were kept busy with this, like you said! So you just have to do what works for you. It may not be worth it to you to put them on the bottom and have to deal with it all the time. By the way, our cat still hasn't learned! Last year one of them tried to climb it and knocked the whole thing over!

Anonymous said...

Oh My! I have had the same trouble with our tree and 2 toddlers in the past. We did put our breakables on the top half but ulitmately, our solution....a smaller kid tree with non-breakable ornaments that can be decorated and undecorated again and again! It is complete with lights so it looks very much like our big tree. We also wrapped some big boxes with bells inside and put them around the edge of the big tree as a barrier. If we heard bells, we knew we had an elf on the loose! Have fun and Good Luck!!!