Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quick Update

I had a Peri. appointment today. It didn't go so well. (This is a bit scattered in thought...I'm still trying to absorb all of the info from today.)

First...the good news...Evan is looking great. He is measuring right on for my due date. His heart looks great with no anomalies...hooray! He is measuring 22w0d with an estimated weight of 1 pound. We got more good pictures and ultrasound video, so I'll try to get those ready to post as soon as I can.

But...the bad news. My cervix dramatically shortened from 3.3 to 1.3 in just 2 weeks. That's not what I wanted nor expected to hear. There's not much more I can do to reduce my activity other than laying flat in bed all day long which I will now be doing. Potty breaks only.

Now I'm scared. This is almost exactly when everything started going south with Ryan (22w3d is when I went to the hospital and I delivered 10 days later). This isn't as critical, in fact it's quite different, but it's just too close to the familiar. My cerclage is still doing it's job and holding my cervix shut which is the most critical thing right now. I'm still having contractions, but what if I'm having more contractions than what I'm feeling? If they are possibly causing more problems I wish the doctor would put me on something to control them altogether. I most definitely will be discussing this and many other things with my OB. In fact I might even call the office tomorrow. (The Peri. is monitoring, but my OB is calling the shots.)

The dr. said we will start ffn testing and swab testing starting with my next appt. in 2 weeks. 2 weeks seems like so long. He said I'll be hospitalized if my cervix continues to shorten, if I have a positive ffn, if I start contracting more than 4 an hour or if my water breaks. As he was leaving he told me "not to worry...we'll take this one step at a time." Yeah...thanks doc. too late for that. After he left I sat and cried for a few minutes...tears of frustration...tears of fear for my baby boy...tears for the unknown.

So here I am...I've "graduated" from modified bedrest to strict...and I'm scared.

Please pray. It terrifies me to even think of having another preemie anywhere close to the gestation as Ryan. Everything is sooooo scary with a preemie. I'd 100 times rather be on bedrest, strapped in a hospital bed incubating my baby than to watch and worry about brain bleeds, apnea, heart stopping, eye problems, oxygen problems and so much more as my baby incubates in a plastic box.

Please pray we can have at least 10 more weeks with Evan safely tucked inside his Mommy's tummy. Please.

May the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 1 Peter 5:10

4 comments:

mimi and Grampy said...

Julie, I have my fingers, toes, legs and eyes all crossed for you and Baby Evan. And of course you are in Grampy's an my prayers. Mimi

Hilary said...

Oh,I can't imagine what you are feeling....I'm praying so hard for you!!!!

Hannah Williamson said...

Julie, I have found your blog through Leticia Worsham, and I just wanted to let you know that I am praying dearly for you and sweet Evan. Your stories of Brandy and Ryan are so touching, in totally opposite ways, and I am truly amazed at your bravery through it all.

Luke 1:37 - "Nothing is impossible for God."

B, E and C's Mommy said...

Oh, Julie...I haven't checked blogs in a few days and my heart stopped today when I read the news. Does the peri have you on a home uterine monitor? It seems like they would be able to keep track of your contractions that way and increase your terb pump as you need it to help control the contractions. I am praying that your cerclage holds tight and that you sweet miracle, Evan, will be able to stay put inside of you. This is scary and unfair, but God chose us to walk this path b/c He knew we could handle it. Stay in bed and know that you are not alone. Email me if you want: babyhopes1@hotmail.com...you know I don't MOVE from my bed, so I am here to chat whenever!
As for God, His way is perfect;
The word of the LORD is proven;
He is a sheild to all who trust in Him. Psalm 18:30