Saturday, March 13, 2010

Resting

This post is a few days overdue, but our internet croaked and the stomach bug came intruding into our home...but I'll get to that in a minute.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm resting a little more peacefully now. My stress level has gone down and I'm not feeling nearly as overwhelmed. Adjusting to strict bedrest from modified has been a bit of an adjustment for everyone. I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference there is. On modified bedrest I was allowed to get up to eat at the table, sit reclined on the couch and even take the occasional outing to a restaurant or even Wal-Mart just as long as I stayed off my feet (sitting at a table or in a wheelchair, etc.) It's completely different to lay flat all the time only getting up to go to the bathroom and incline a little eat (so I don't choke. No one wants the headline: Baby's fine! Mom chokes! hahahaha). As much as possible I'm also trying to lay head down/hips elevated to keep as much pressure off my cervix as possible.

The family is adjusting well. Daddy has really picked up the pace with helping/doing everything while we're at home. He scolds me quite often if he sees me up! Ryan has adjusted well too...much better than I first expected. I originally hoped that if I ever got put on strict bedrest I'd be admitted to the hospital at the same time. I just didn't see how it could possibly work at home with a 3 year old....a five letter word comes to mind...STRESS...and too much of it. Ryan has done so well though. He still requests my help, but he doesn't have a meltdown when I can't help and send him off to his daddy or Nana for assistance. He loves to get on the bed with me and play/snuggle/tell stories. He also has a new fascination with pulling my shirt up and beating "Baby Elmo" or driving his cars up and down my tummy. Nana is also doing well with the adjustment. Now that the weather is starting to warm up she and Ryan can go outside more which is sooooo much easier. Ryan loves the outdoors and it's amazing how just going outside for an hour can completely change his perspective on things. Nana, Papa and Ryan have recently started raising a new brood of baby chickens, so Ryan loves to go see the baby chickens and play at Papa's house.

While the news from the past week was quite a shock I've had time to think and relax some. I won't say that we aren't "out of the woods". The reality is that we could still be dealing with a preemie again if things continue in the same direction. The doctor was not overly concerned and we shouldn't be either. I had another mom offer encouragement...2 of her kids were held in only by the stitch...nearly to term. Another mom I know personally had a cervical measurement at or below 1 for 10 weeks and delivered at 36 weeks. It's not critical and we're not in any imminent danger of delivering within a week or two, but it is a BIG concern and I'm viewing it as we've just started the fight. We were coasting before...now we're fighting. I/we/the doctors now must do everything possible and be proactive in keeping our sweet baby inside for as long as possible. And that's what we're doing.

My goals have been reorganized through all this. I originally only considered it a success if we made it to 36 weeks. That was/is what I really wanted to get to...my ultimate goal. Now my goals are a little more what I'd call *realistic*. Right now my heart is set on 30 weeks. Only 8 weeks away. Preemie...yes. Dangerous still...yes. Odds...very good. Safe...pretty much. 32 weeks would be awesome. 34 weeks would be amazing. That's when the doctor would stop trying to prevent labor if it started. 36 weeks...INCREDIBLE! What's great is it could happen! Any of these...they could happen! God is always in control! I choose to rest in His Will.

I have an OB appointment on Tuesday. My list of concerns and questions is growing by the day. Like I mentioned before I was coasting. Now I'm fighting! I just hope everyone will be patient and understanding with me. One of my big concerns is the contractions and whether they are exacerbating the problem. The contractions are less (on average) now that I'm flat, but I still have some and some days are worse than others. I just want to make sure we are doing EVERYTHING possible to give this baby a fighting chance...INSIDE HIS MOMMY!

Now for the stomach bug. Ryan started puking yesterday afternoon. It was awful. He's never had a stomach illness and to see him heaving and puking and heaving and crying was heart breaking. He didn't understand at all. He kept saying, "I sick." "It's yucky." "Time to go doctor." "My tummy hurts." "My body hurts." He puked pretty much non-stop until sometime in the middle of the night. He couldn't keep anything down. This morning he woke up and seems much better. His stools were very runny for a little while this morning, but that has lessened too. I sure hope he's over it. It was hard on the little guy. It was hard on his mommy.

2 comments:

Candice said...

I had weekly visits to check my cervix from 20 weeks on. Each week I anxiously watched my OB's face as he examined me. I always told myself I was prepared for "the worst" but honestly it would have been a shock to be told things weren't as I expected.

I also have been on modified bedrest and it has been difficult, but all of us who've had a micro-preemie know know we'd do whatever is required to prevent a repeat. When I started, 28 weeks was my goal with 36 weeks being a distant possibility. Lucky for us the cerclage can do amazing things! I really hope you make it to your 36 week goal, but keep in mind that a +/-30 weeker is a far cry from our experiences with a 23/24 week micro-preemie. Best of luck to you! :o)

Hilary said...

Oh man!!! I hope that Ryan gets better..continue to pray fro yours and baby Evan's health! :)